Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Out with the Old


I will preface this post by saying I went a little crazy. My husband says when he hears me say those words, he gets nervous. This time, though, I think it was he who inspired me. Last Sunday night, while watching Big Brother, my husband got an itch to organize his closet. I wasn't going to fight him on that one! I sat there on the bed, half watching BB and half watching him get reacquainted with the plethora of blue oxford shirts in the back of his closet. "Old Bluey! I've missed you!" I don't know how he could distinguish Old Bluey from the all the other seemingly identical blue shirts, but whatever, he was reminiscing.

So when I say I "went a little crazy" in my own closet on Monday, I have to partially blame the hub. It started out that I just wanted to hang one of my shirts. I couldn't...quite...get it...into the closet. No more room. That can't be right. I have a full-on double closet. I mean, it's no walk-in, but it's a regular size closet. Something must be done. Still in control of the situation, I innocently spotted a shirt that was never ever going to be worn again, and who knows why it was ever worn in the first place. I took it out to make room for the one in my hand. It felt good to get rid of a "bad guy". Plus, it's hardly worth going to the Donation Station for one shirt...I was quickly losing my grip. I flipped through a few more shirts and found another bad guy. I ripped it out and threw it on the floor. Before I knew it, I was in full-on edit mode. And I was harsh. If it was too big, too small, didn't look good on me, or had no chance of ever being worn again, it was history. I also completely disassembled my whole 'organized by color' system, which was so-0-ooo not working for me and instead organized by type of clothing.

My give away heap

Believe it or not, after all that, my closet is still pretty full. Maybe I should've been a bit more harsh. My style has significantly changed and I wouldn't even think of wearing a lot of the clothes that I used to wear. I told my mom that I was editing my closet and the first thing she asked was if something was wrong with me...the second thing she said was to keep the clothes until I see her next, because she might like to go through them herself. :)

A lot of these clothes were my Fall/Winter wear, so hopefully I'll find a few pieces this Fall which will take their places. Obviously, I want to be pretty choosy this time around.

This weekend, we're going over to the East Bay- ooh, just saying "East Bay" kinda makes me cringe- but it has it's merits. And to be fair, I haven't really given it a chance. We're actually going to check out some new communities over there...my husband hasn't shaken off the relocation bug, and wants to see what the houses are like over there. It would be a pretty long commute, but who knows? It might be worth it. We might have a better picture by early next week.

In the meantime, I've got to figure out what to do with this monster pile of old clothes I've got in the corner of my bedroom. If I had a kid, I'd throw it in the middle of the bed and let them jump in it like a pile of leaves. In reality, it's either going to be boxed or bagged and it's going to be donated ASAP. Is it crazy of me to say I can't wait to go shopping to get some Fall clothes?

No comments:

Post a Comment