Thursday, July 16, 2009

My First Collages...and The Wedding

So, like a month ago I decided to "try" to do a Mixed Media collage. I immediately loved it. I don't even feel like I'm really all that good at it, but I do really love it. There're so many different things to try with Mixed Media; it's a vastly new experience with every collage you do. I was really influenced by a book called Taking Flight, by Kelly Rae Roberts. Not only is it full of ideas and how-to's, but it also has a lot of inspirational and motivational direction. I'll post pictures of my first two collages (the ones my husband framed) here. The first one is called, "Serenity", and the second one is called, "Artful Celebrations".






So, I wrote in my last post that we were going to Napa to a wedding...and that I wasn't excited about it. Well, the wedding turned out to be less of a disappointment than anticipated, which only further supports my theory that one should always set one's expectations very low and you'll surely be less likely to be disappointed.

In fact, I met a lady there, who is the wife of one of my husband's good friends, who was very nice and chatty, which made the evening go by very fast. Before I knew it, it was time to say goodbye and head back to the hotel, so I really owe my evening to her. Plus! By some miracle the dinner they served didn't seem to have any gluten in it at all (aside from the bread basket), and as I am gluten-free, I was very pleased that I could eat what was being served. I had been afraid there might be some awkwardness at the table if there was some pasta or something on the plate, but it was some nice (for a wedding) chicken and risotto.

For now, I have restarted the giraffe I am painting and am much happier with the way it is coming along. I have also started a new necklace and a new bracelet and am about 3/4 of the way through a collage I'm doing with a yellow and green theme. I've also started a mermaid collage which I plan to give to my cousin, if I ever finish it (and it turns out nicely!). I'd like to finish the mermaid within the next 2-3 weeks. It could be tight.

An update on these projects, and possibly some photos...next time. If you enjoy this blog, I encourage you to become a friend by clicking on the FOLLOW button on the right, or sometimes it's at the top of the screen. It's really easy, and you'll get updated whenever there's a new post to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment