Friday, July 10, 2009

My Studio


A few months ago (I don't know HOW I did it), I got my husband to agree that I should have an art studio. Luckily we had a couple rooms in our house that were good candidates, but I chose a room that the previous owner had used as her quilting room. It has a huge skylight in it, and is really only good for one thing: doing artsy stuff. If a guest were to spend the night in this room, they would wake up bright and early with the sun in their eyes.

So the first thing on my mind was to get a beading desk. The desk you see in the first photo is my beading desk. You'll see my inspiration wall and then my tool storage underneath that, with my basket full of beads on the right side of the desk and my bead board and marble slab in the center. The desk is a little cluttered today, because I have two projects going on...one just finishing up and one about to start. On the floor on the right you can just barely see a painting that I have started of a red poppy. I put it down there for a "rest" because I got frustrated with it.

In this photo, you see my storage area, where I keep all of my books, beads, paint, and a huge list of other art supplies. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have this shelving area to store all of my stuff. It's indispensable. I also have a separate painting desk with an easel and a special surface for watercolors. I'm really lucky to have this studio!

My husband and I are going to Napa for the weekend. We went there about a month ago for the day, and now we're going overnight. We have a wedding to attend. In general, I don't "do" weddings. A big part of me thinks weddings should be private. I didn't want anyone to attend my own wedding, but ended up just having immediate family there. I guess you have to make some consolations where family is concerned. I've missed a lot of weddings in my life, too, most regretfully, but I'm sure all stemming from my wedding-phobia. I have NO idea where a wedding phobia like that could come from, but I've got it bad.

Next time I write I hope to include pictures of my mixed media collages. I've never done mixed media before, but my husband liked them so much he had them framed. Now that I've done it, I really like it, and I continue to experiment with different stuff- I guess that's the point. I'm also working on a giraffe painting, as well as some Vintage Lucite necklaces.

Enjoy your weekend! I know I won't! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment