Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Our Baby Tulsi

We're so proud of our baby Tulsi, I just had to show it off. Here's what it looks like today:


The Tulsi plant is incredibly auspicious, and is grown in a special pot in front of many, many homes throughout India. The leaves of the Tulsi are very fragrant, which is probably one reason why it is also called Holy Basil. Tulsi has many ayurvedic and some medicinal benefits as well, including treatment for stomach disorders, malaria, and the common cold. In fact, Tulsi is the only cough syrup I use when I get sick. It's difficult to find, and sometimes I have to have my Mother-in-law get it for me in India, but it's worth it. I also have some Tulsi tea that's very herb-y and minty.

Our Tulsi is planted in a tall terracotta pot right outside our front door. We're so proud of it because it's grown about 8 inches this Summer and has so many leaves. With all the luck a Tulsi is supposed to bring, we figure if the Tulsi is happy, it can't be a bad thing. As it gets older, the Tulsi will have a wood-like stem and will bloom with small purple flowers.

I honestly don't know where you can get a Tulsi plant. We found ours at the Farmer's Market. I don't think you could find it at a regular nursery. You'd probably have to try mail order. If you're in the market for some luck, though, it might be worth the trouble. It makes me feel really good to uphold an Indian tradition by having a Tulsi plant in our front yard, and the extra luck doesn't hurt, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment