Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Day 3 Singapore




Well, I had thought that Chinese New Year in Singapore was going to be a blast but it turned out to be a bust. Apart from a few decorations- we didn’t see any signs of celebration at all. Unless you count the fact that because everyone was celebrating, almost every shop and restaurant door was closed. I guess that’s a sign that someone is celebrating! We went to mall after empty mall-all dark and deserted. However! Today we went to China Town and it was absolutely replete with Tigers (this is the Year of the Tiger) and the color red. Here are some pictures my husband took:



After we went to China Town, we went back to Clarke Quay (pronounced “Key”) and went to a really cool bookstore called Kinokuniya which I had heard of before at home, and really wanted to visit when I got the chance. I was able to get some really great ephemera (that’s what the paper and other stuff I use for my Mixed Media art is called) from Taiwan and Japan. I’m excited to put this stuff to use when I get home!


It was a little cooler today...only 89 degrees, rather than 90. But you have to keep in mind that the humidity makes it feel kinda stuffy. One thing that makes it bearable is that the MRT (subway) is air conditioned, and we take the MRT everywhere we go.


We took the MRT back to Little India to go to Banana Leaf Apolo for lunch. It’s a pretty well-known place...famous for their fish head curry. We didn’t have the fish head curry...I guess we’re just not adventurous enough. We had Chili Chicken (which was moderately spicy, even for me) and Vegetable Biryani. For those of you who don’t know, Biryani is a kind of roasted rice dish, where the rice actually roasts (usually with a meat like chicken or lamb) for hours-sometimes in an underground oven, getting more and more flavorful as the hours pass. You can make Biryani at home, too, in a much simpler way, but that’s the more traditional definition of Biryani.


Speaking of Biryani, our plane leaves for India tomorrow morning at 730 AM and we reach India at 1030 AM, India time. My Mother-in-Law will be waiting for us at the airport and from there we will go to the hotel where Abby and and I are staying to drop off our bags and maybe have a little lunch. Then we’ll head to Vikhroli, which is the tiny little area of Bombay where my husband is from. Our plans are up in the air from there!


I’ve got to say, I’ve REALLY loved our time in Singapore and I’m going to be sad to leave. Singapore is a beautiful place. It’s an easy place to be a tourist, too. It’s got a great transportation system, everyone speaks English, and if you’re smart enough to visit anytime other than Chinese New Year, there’s PLENTY of shopping! I know a few people who would be put off by the temperature here, but you’ve got to get past that. This place is so beautiful. Just last night, I found these little tiny baby seedless oranges that are about an inch and a quarter in diameter-and they’re deeee-licious! I love this country!

No comments:

Post a Comment