Sunday, February 14, 2010

Singapore-the flight and the first day



My sweet husband got me a wonderful Valentine’s gift! A new Flip Ultra HD video camera...so you will be seeing some videos of our trip here on this blog. I’m lovin’ it!



I think I’m going to regret a lot of things about this flight to Singapore...mostly to do with airplane food. I requested Gluten Free meals and I’ve had one semi-hit and 3 misses, while my husband, who requested the Hindu Veg meals keeps lovin’ every bite. I’m calling them tomorrow and getting the rest of my meals switched to Hindu Veg (which seem to all be GF anyway). The other thing I may end up really regretting, is brushing my teeth in Incheon Airport in Korea. I did what I always do and I dipped my toothbrush in before thinking about the potability of the water & then it was too late. I’ve cost myself so many toothbrushes because of that! But I pressed on and brushed my teeth anyway- and I pressured Abby into doing it too- so we may be fighting over the toilet later on at the hotel.


Well, I’m writing this on the plane...actually, I’m doing fairly well. I’ve been up 24 hours so far and by the time we get situated at the hotel it will probably be more like 27-28 hours. It really helps in situations like this (trying to acclimate to jetlag) to have insomnia...because I can keep myself up for the loooooooongest periods of time.


Anyway, I’m out. TTFN.




Hey! So far no regrets from the plane food....I’m so happy about that! AND! It turns out that Seoul’s water is potable. Shame on me for thinking otherwise! Actually, to be honest, I’ve never peed in a cooler bathroom than the one in Seoul’s airport. It was just awesome. The stalls were so private and clean and the toilet seat covers....I can’t even explain them! There was an actual sleeve of plastic that came out of a machine that covered the entire seat, and it automatically re-loaded for each new person. Does that make sense? Probably not. But anyway, it was cool. We got into our Hotel, which is the Singapore Marriott, at around 2:15 AM, and of course we were exhausted...so when the enthusiastic receptionist tried to upsell us a huge room with a price tag to match, we totally fell for it. So now, for the next 4 days, we are in a 2 bedroom Junior Suite...with 2 bathrooms! But actually, it is very comfortable and luxurious and we love it. I was so tired last night, I just wanted to take a shower and go to bed...I went into the main bathroom and got into the tub and noticed there was just a hand shower and no actual shower curtain. I was like, “how we gonna do this?”. So I splashed around in there like a little sea otter and got the job done and came out with my jammies on. When I told Abby and my husband about the weird bathing situation, my husband just laughed and

said, “you mean you didn’t see the separate stand up shower in the corner?”. It’s true. There’s a HUGE shower stall in there. I guess the bathroom’s just so big that I missed it.


Today we had intentions to go Sentosa Island...we got to the station and everything, but then we saw and hour long line-in the sun (did I mention it’s hella hot here?)-to get there. We stood in that line arguing with eachother for about 4 minutes and then we left. We decided to go to Clarke Quay, which is basically a bunch of restaurants and retail stores on a river front. It’s really pretty. Everything is closed though!!! Everything is closed because it’s New Year’s. We did manage to find a few restaurants that were open...and we stopped and ate at one called Café Iguana, which is a Mexican restaurant, of all things. It was really good! I had chicken tacos with handmade tortillas. Mmmmmmm. Then we took a riverboat cruise....we saw a lot from the boat...a lot of stuff we can do in the next few days. It was really nice. After the cruise, I couldn’t resist a sign I saw for Turkish Ice Cream. What is Turkish Ice Cream? I had to know. Basically, a guy dressed in Authentic Turkish clothing with Ice Cream in brass tubs in flavors like vanilla, chocolate, pistachio, mango and strawberry reaches in with a special spoon and with all his gusto, fills your bowl or cone with rich Ice Cream (which is really not very sweet). He really likes to mix flavors. That’s my impression of Turkish Ice Cream.


Then we came back to the hotel so I could write this blog, and our plan now is to go out to Orchard Road and walk around. Should be fun. My husband wants to get a new lens for his camera.

1 comment:

  1. Im jetlagged reading this! Cant wait for more pictures! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete